Thursday, December 16, 2010

Silence is....MADDENING!

So I went to the allergist Monday.

Ever since moving to Texas my allergies have gotten progressively worse. That's why I wasn't surprised when I started losing my voice back in early October. At the point the sinus headaches were many and drainage was intense. I figured it was all connected.

Fast forward to December.

I still don't have my voice back. It has come and gone since October but has mostly been gone. Since it seemed to improve when we went to Vancouver and when we were in Indiana I thought that was a sure sign that it was related to location. That is, it was related to the allergens in certain locations.

The allergist disagreed.

Upon "scoping" my vocal cords he gave me a different diagnosis.

I have vocal cord nodules.

He likened them to calluses on the hands or corns on the feet. Apparently I have overworked my voice and now my vocal cords are damaged. :( Very unfortunate for someone in my profession. Yet, it is a condition that is found most commonly amongst those in my profession or those who have similarities in the need to speak loudly often (ministers, actors, singers, etc.). He wasn't surprised by the view of my cords at all.

The cure?

There is none. Not really. Mostly I just have to shut up. Good luck to me on that one! He also gave me a steriod spray that could help with some of the inflammation. We shall see. However, there was a funny little bit to this. The only other treatment is to take speech therapy to learn how talk. That's right! I'm going to learn how to talk all over again! Zach is wondering if I'll still sound like me or if I'll get a new voice. I find that HIGHLY unlikely but it is quite amusing listening him attempt to sound like what he thinks I might sound like in the end.

*SIGH*

Yes, so part of my blogging return is due to the fact that I can't talk much. I have to get thoughts out somehow!

Ay!

Vocal cord nodules! Too funny!

1 comment:

Becky Durham said...

Lemme get this straight: you have a condition that affects people who talk a lot? I did not see that coming....

ahem...

Anyway, I'm sorry! I hope the steroids and the speech therapy work!

<3