Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Getting Lost & Rescued

In my previous post I mentioned that Z and I were going to go walking last night. We got a semi-late start but it was still daylight and it was really nice night. We went to a park that has walking trails and started walking. We got off the beaten path for a bit and walked near the bayou, also. This part kind of made me feel like I was back home. I do miss the “country” aspect of home a lot. The city atmosphere is fantastic and I love all the benefits but occasionally a nice walk in the woods far from civilization would be a great break. Anyway…that’s not the point of this post. No, the point is this…

After walking for about ½ hour we stopped and looked at a map. At which point we decided to press and loop back around rather than backtrack. Logical, right? Yes, of course. Unless you misread the map and find out about 15 minutes later that there are no bridges going back over the bayou and the only semi-short route back is the way you came. Except at this point you can’t decide what you want to do…keep going forward in case there does happen to be a bridge that would make the walk shorter or walk all the way back the way you came. In our indecision we kept walking. After about another 15 minutes we realized it was going to be too far for me, the still-recovering hip replacement patient, to walk all the way back to the car regardless of which way we would have to go. Oh, and did I mention that at this point it is pitch black? This being the case, he couldn’t leave me there and go get a car. I was unlikely going to be able to walk the distance back. Remember, we had walked for about an hour at this point. It was going to take another hour to get us back…at least. So, we did what anyone living in 2009 would do. We got on our cell phone and called for help.

Dear sweet Rebecca came to our rescue. Of course she’s never going to let us live it down. I can’t blame her though. I’m still cracking up over it. My body is so sore and I’m so tired from the ordeal but it was so worth it. I can’t wait to see where the next walking tour takes me.

2 comments:

Tamara said...

How funny! Thank you for sharing that story

Becky Durham said...

ha! There are so many helpful things I could say but I'm just gonna shut up.

Love you and glad you weren't lost forever!