Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Why Did I Watch That?

I had really wanted to go to bed early last night. I was tired. Yet, when I made the attempt to go to sleep I simply could not. I was up and down for hours! I finally drifted off sometime around 12:30. Then I woke up at 4:40 am!

The thing is....

I watched 2 movies yesterday. Actually, I started to watch 3 but had to turn one off. The one I turned off was "Untraceable". I am not sure why I even rented that stupid thing. All I know is that from the moment I turned it on I just had no peace about it. I watched maybe 30 minutes of it and turned it off. So, I went on to the next one. It was called "An American Crime". OMG! Why did I watch that thing??? I rented it because it was a true story about a young Indiana girl who was viciously abused. I had no idea to what extent it would chronicle her horrific experience. I was physically ill by the time it was over. This was very much on my mind as I was trying to sleep. Likewise, the final movie, "Life Through Her Eyes", also stirred me up and probably stole part of my ability to sleep as well. It was about a school shooting and the life of one of the victims. Only it had a twist near the end that left me a mildly perplexed for a bit but intrigued by the concept over all.

Yeah, so these movies are still messing with me today. I am not sure why they had such a profound impact on me or how it is that I managed to rent two movies at one time that would be able to do so. Oh well, maybe it'll hit me at some point. Hopefully in a dream, though. I can't handle another night like last night!

1 comment:

Tamara said...

This reminds me of a story my writing professor told our class. Apparently, he met a woman who had a tragic story to tell and she wasn't able to publish it. She couldn't understand why editors kept rejecting it. (This will be a long comment but this story hit me in a powerful way and I think it is worth retelling)
She asked my professor to read the manuscript and enlighten her as to why it kept being rejected.

Here is the story's summary. The mother, the writer, was in a hurry to pick up one of her children from dance class. She was in such a hurry she decided not to fully buckle her other little girl into the seat. They were broadsided and this girl died. She would have survived if she had a seat belt on.

My professor was horrified because this mother wrote horrific details about the death of her child. Even describing the glass from the window scrapping across her child's face. My professor was blunt and quickly explained why this story was failing to publish. These descriptions were disturbing. Graphic and unnecessary. He suggested spending less time on describing the event and more time on what she learned from the experience. When she listened to my professor's advice she quickly got published. Many mothers later wrote her telling her how they had learned from her experience.

SOOO I have said all that to say this:

Violence in movies rarely thrills me anymore. Like you I am often disgusted by it. I hope that these movies that disturbed you also had some take away value. Did they teach you anything. I know it may be hard to get past the needless graphic details. But, hopefully something positive comes from it.