Friday, November 07, 2008

A Teacher's Delight

As tiresome as teaching is on most days, occassionally I have an encounter that reminds me why I do like teaching. Today I had two such encounters with my 7th period class. Mind you, my 6th period class left me wondering why in the world I ever became a teacher. So, having my GT kids 7th period is usually a great way to follow that class and a wonderful way to conclude my day. So, today they once again lifted my spirits with their presence.

The first thing is that they got back their most recent test. They all did so well! Most passed with an A or B. This is such a difference from the start of the school year and seeing their elation as they saw their scores really made me happy.

The second thing is that in the last several minutes of class one of my students in that class asked me this: "Miss, if there is an animal with two heads (like when there are mutated), and one head dies, what will happen to the other head?" So I gave him a little bit of information and my opinion, then asked him some questions. Then we just discussed all these different scenarios, talked about why this or that might happen, referenced historical cases of conjoined twins, and so on and so forth. I love that! I love it when there is evidence that they think! Sure, it's a silly topic, but HE WAS THINKING! And hypothesizing! And deducing! And inquiring! And drawing conclusions! It was so wonderful! It blessed my little teacher heart immensely.

So, I suppose in the futuren, when my students are driving me batty I will try to reflect upon such moments thus remembering that such times can make it worth it.

And now....ON WITH THE WEEKEND! Woo-hoo!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

You are such an awesome teacher, Miss Hayes! Good for your students :)