Well, it looks like Hurricane Ike is going to hit very close to Houston. School is canceled for tomorrow, most businesses have closed, and the city is a-buzz with people preparing to brave the storm while others are hitting the freeways to evacuate to higher ground. This is my first hurricane so I'm a little excited, a little concerned, but mostly just curious as to what it's going to really be like.
My friends and I are not evacuating but we are going to ride it out together. In the morning I will take my massive amounts of water and oodles of non-perishables and head to my friend's house for the next couple of days. Truth is, we aren't exactly moving more inland, but he's got the biggest place and lives closest to the most people so that's where we decided would be the best place to gather. It's my first hurricane party so I'm very excited about that aspect of all of this. Perhaps that's a naive outlook, but I can't help it.
For those of you who've never prepared for a hurricane but live in the seasonally frigid northern states you can probably relate if you think about what it is like just before a big snowstorm. It just has that feel to it. Stores are crowded and the bread shelves are empty. The lines at the gas stations are crazy long but people are generally nicer as they put on their "we're all in this together" attitude. It's quite interesting and, I think, rather nice.
Hurricanes are so interesting to me. Especially how unpredictable they seem to be. Anything could happen at this point. So, I guess I will update when I can. Please continue to pray. And if you want to check out the path of the hurricane I recommend Stormpulse or the National Hurricane Center.
Take care!
3 comments:
I personally have always wanted to experience a natural disaster. When we had a small earthquake I was excited. I love nature when it shows its strength. I know that sounds odd. But, I think it is a great way to experience God. The Bible tells many stories about huge natural events. I have always wanted to experience the fear and the helplessness. That is one reason I love severe thunderstorms. It is the closet I get to real excitement. Praying for you!
Well I lived in Hollywood Florida for about 6 months when I was married and anytime I heard the work "Hurricane", It would be time to head North for a few days to mom's, LOL , but everyone that knows me well if the wind blows, I run to the basement or when I lived with Gail years ago would drage my twin mattress to the bathtub while Gail, Josh, and I would get in the tub and put the mattress over our heads if we were having a tornado warning. I have the gift to make people run for cover when it comes to tornados, except of course Karen and David who like to sat outside upstairs on a deck when tornados are coming and laugh at me because I am running to the basement taking cover.... LOL Hey I have been praying for you Jenny and your friends.
Well, I heard you had a caller from Henderson last night--Jason was so excited that he got to talk to you! A real Hurricane participant! He wanted me to try to call you again about 1:00 this morning (we were still up), but I did not.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Also, I've checked out stormpulse. Interesting stuff. Is it wrong that I think Hurricane/tropical storm Nana should get together with Hurricane/tropical storm Wilfred?
I <3 Hurricane names!
Post a Comment