Today has been the first time I've been able to get online (except for one time I was able to check email for about 2 minutes), so, forgive me if I don't go back and comment on things you all have posted. I did take time to read your posts, oogle over your photos, and enjoy your videos. I love keeping up with everyone and adore the pictures that add so much life to all of your blogs. But given the events of my last week, I decided I am just going to post an update and will catch up with you all more in the days to come.
So, here is my update....
First, THANK YOU to all of you who PRAYED and CALLED to check on me. I know most of you must think this was one big party based on conversations with me, but that's not exactly the full reality of it all. I mean, yes, the truth is, for my friends and I it really has been an awesome experience. We got to see God's hand of protection on our lives and many others around. We also grew VERY cose during this time and were able to appreciate one another's personalities and giftings so much more. Plus, I really can't imagine having not had my friends to go through this with. We enjoyed communal cooking/dining, sleeping, games, storm watching, cleaning, laughter, prayer/support, refugee-ing, and just about everything else you can imagine! It was rough at times with no electricity or running water in really hot conditions while being completely awed by the power of nature that we had not ability to control or truly hide from. BUT we really made the most of it and have had a fantastic time just thanking God in the little things and realizing how blessed of a people we are. I was especially amazed at the grace that abounded that kept us from getting on one another's nerves and irritating each other. It's been pretty cool!
Second, a special HUGE UBER-THANKS to Michael for housing 8 of us during the bulk of the storm! And then also to my friends/family Tony and Beth for housing 5 of us for another 2 days when we they were the only ones we knew with power, water, and space enough to house us all. Although we all went our own ways last night I anticipate meeting up with them again tonight or tomorrow. I stayed at home last night and thanked God continuously for INCREDIBLE weather we are now having. (It is in the 80's and SO cool for Texas!!!) I slept wonderfully with my windows open and didn't miss my electricity or AC even once! I am now back at Beth and Tony's to do laundry, pay some bills, shower, and get some school work finished up.
Some areas were hit really hard while others just look as if a big thunderstorm came through. I just got the call that my school is out the rest of the week and has plans to re-open on Monday. That's pretty much the case with all the schools around and many businesses. So, yes, right now none of my friends or I have power but we all have water (but I have no hot water). Gas is extremely hard to come by with lines anywhere from 10 to...well...too many cars to count...long. Bottled water is not impossible to find but ice is a hot commodity right now. It's funny to hear the main reports on the radio being what stores have ice/gas/water. Thankfully, many of the stores and restaurants are open so finding places with AC and hot meals is not a hard thing to do. It's all just a very strange situation. But one that keeps thanksgiving in my heart and on my lips almost without ceasing.
I think that's about all I can say for now. As if it wasn't enough! LOL Thank you again for all the prayers and calls. I really did appreciate them. (I apologize for being so goofy and distracted when I did talk to you guys. It's hard to focus when you're with so many other people and are tired and just so out of sorts from such an experience as this all has been.)
More to come later!
3 comments:
It is good to hear an update. You sound completely joyful. I am so glad that you are staying thankful and not complaining. I am also glad you are all right.
ps: I had three dreams about the hurricane.
Soooo glad to hear an update and that your well-thanks for your testimony of God's provision and protection!!
You don't have to miss "snow days" after all! Except, hurricane days are probably vastly different from snow days. What is the difference, would you say, that is if you can tell with this first experience, between getting out of school for snow and getting out of school for hurricanes?
Post a Comment