Sunday, May 20, 2007

Blogging = My Sedative

Why is it that I could barely keep my eyes open at 9:30 but when I finally went to bed around 10:00 I couldn't sleep! What's that all about? Anyway, I'm just sitting here thinking about Texas...about jobs...what my apartment will be like...wondering if I'll find a church...what kind of students will I have...about making friends...all that stuff. I get so excited when I think about it!!!! Now that I know I will know someone for the first several months when I move I feel even better about it all. So, hm, I guess now is as good of time as any to tell you about my friend who lives there.

As some of you know I reconnected with a girl I knew from high school. We weren't so much friends as acquaintances who had a lot of classes together and our groups of friends sort of overlapped. So, when I went down over spring break we had dinner and during that time she sort of just poured her heart out to me. It totally took me off guard, but it was a very good, and of God, reconnection. She is actually a teacher there and that is why I made a point to get in touch with her. I've already mentioned her to you all a few times. She is the one who is pregnant but not married and in the midst of a real struggle in terms of where her life is going. Well, she has made the decision to move back to Indiana. Only she wants to stay in Houston to have the baby and get all the legal stuff worked out with the father. Because of this she will need a place to stay from the time her lease ends at the end of August until about mid-November. So, she is going to live with me during that time. In part to have a place to live, but also because I "get" to be the one to take her to the hospital and all that jazz when the baby is coming. We will essentially be helping one another because she is then going to leave me her furniture and will help with rent during those months and is excited about going to churches to help me find one. How cool is that? It's kind of working out for the both of us very well. The details are still in the works, but I feel so good about it.

As a couple of you also know, I met this guy online who lives down there. It's sort of a roller-coaster ride with him. He drives me crazy! One week he's in constant contact with me and then he'll go 2 weeks without a peep! I can't figure him out. Anyway, I mention him now because he is actually a teacher also and works in the district it looks like I am likely to end up in. He's been giving me some tips on which schools to go after and all that. It's been very helpful. Even though I've not met him at this point, I'm pretty sure I will some time this summer. That is also a point of excitement in all this. That is if he doesn't drive me totally crazy by that time! I don't so much feel it is going to end up as anything more than just a connection down there, hopefully a friend, but the whole situation still leaves me asking God why I met this guy. It's obvious it wasn't an accident, but I'm still very confused by it.

So, a lot of stuff is happening in my life. Only, I'm so easily swayed and discouraged by things. I know I've always been emotional, but these past 2-3 years it's been particularly bad. Everything has just seemed so uncertain. I will have times of hearing God SO clearly, but then there are many, many more times when it is as if He has left me alone in the darkest of dark places to feel my way out. It's been tough and I'm really just hoping that I will have a year (or more!) of rest when I move. Just a time of not struggling just to "stay alive", as it has felt these past few years.


Ah, there you go. Blogging always makes me sleepy! I hope reading this helped you in some way also. Hopefully not as a sedative if you are reading this in the middle of the day! :)

2 comments:

Becky Durham said...

God works in awesome, crazy ways sometimes! I feel good about the deal with your friend. It seems like that's a great way for you to get started in you new adventure! It's always easier to find new friends and a new church when you have someone to do it with. It takes away that awkwardness of "I'm here alone..."

And who knows why you met the guy? But I bet God will use it either way! I'd hang on for whatever He has in store. As for his "wiedness," it might just simply be the end of the year insanity that teachers experience. I know I've been going non-stop for about 4 weeks now and I don't even work in a school! Some people aren't as committed to the internet as we are!

I think you'll survive the summer! You'll be so busy getting things in order for your big move! And then when you finally get to Texas, you'll have a roomie--which as you know is awesome (you've some good ones in the past...ha--if everyone who's lived with you that's reading your blog raised her hand, there'd be a lot of hands in the air).

I hope you had a good night's sleep!

Tamara said...

I am encouraged that you could help this young woman out. She is probably in real need of companionship as you are. I love how God works.