"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.'" ~Jeremiah 29:11-13
Friday, March 02, 2007
Sucking Eggs & A Flaming Hand
Today was an eventful day in science. Since we are discussing the behaviors of gases I did the "Egg in a Bottle" demo. It's always a simple fav of all students and a great demonstration of Charles' Law. Cool, huh? Yeah, we all thought so. However, I had one little problem early on. What is that you ask? In my rush during one of the trials I did not fully clean the alcohol off of my hand before lighting the cotton ball. The result? UH YEAH! Not only was there a flaming cotton ball there was a flaming Hennyfair hand! Worst of all it took me about 2 seconds to figure out what the heck was going on! Thank God the alcohol quickly burned off and it didn't ignite my shirt sleeve! In that instance I'm not sure if the sucking egg or the flaming hand was the more exciting demo! (Honestly though....it was pretty cool to see my hand all ablaze like that, but I couldn't sensationalize it lest I have 104 7th graders trying to set themselves on fire this weekend!)
Note: The link is NOT from my class, but is the same dealio. Except I didn't remove the egg in the manner they describe.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Wow Hennyfair,
You are too neat! I love your braveness and ability to get joy out of a burning hand and a crooked finger!!! I really do...I am soooo squeamish and overly sensitive to such things, that my reactions are so NOT like yours. I think that is why you make such a great science teacher...
I said it before, and I will say it again, I would have so enjoyed Science growing up if you had been my teacher!!! hahahahaha!!!!
Oh dear.
There's a new book out that I really enjoyed called "Teach Like Your Hair is on fire..." but I don't know about teaching like your hand is on fire...
You were just doing surgery on your hand ahead of time in your own personal, Henny-style kind of way.
Did you laugh about it after it had happened with your students or were you startled/frightened? I know you had to keep your head with all those gullible teens around...
Both! I was startled at first but then had a good laugh about it. However, every class asked me to do it again for them. I kindly declined that request. I wasn't about to try to do it on purpose!
Post a Comment