Last night on the way home from work a dude won a call-in contest. He took that opportunity to plug his church's play they were putting on. It sounded interesting and since I was officially on break I decided to go. Being that it was over an hour away I left early in case I got lost or something. Thankfully I didn't, but did get there about 45 minutes early. That meant I ended up sitting there alone feeling like a complete leper for all that time while I waited. Which brings me to the point of this post. Not a single person came up and welcomed me or said hi or anything. Not one person in over 1/2 hour approached me. Now, that is awkward, depressing, frustrating, and a source of irritation to me. Mostly because for all they knew I was an unsaved person and left there thinking church was an unwelcoming place. Or what if I was there as my one last cry for help from God for some reason and I then left there and committed suicide or something?
Now, I'm not trying to get down on them. I'm really not. I think it was just a wake-up call for me. How many times have I not went up to someone because of my insecurity of "They wouldn't want to talk to me because I'm not good enough." Or maybe it was the young guy I wouldn't talk to because I was afraid they'd get the wrong idea about my friendliness. Too many times I've let Satan give me lame excuses for not welcoming someone at church...or anywhere else for that matter. I mean, I actually am pretty conscious of that in most cases and honestly do go out of my way much of the time, but there are definitely times when I don't.
So, last night I made a vow to God that I would never do that again. And I mean it. I felt just dreadful the whole time I was there. Like I was not good enough to be in that place. I don't want anyone to ever feel like that at church - or anywhere else. And God spoke another thing to me about it and that was just what I already (should) know as a Christian....In those times when I'm thinking about how I feel and why I don't want to approach someone, I need to remember IT'S NOT ABOUT ME ANYWAY!!!
I write this as a way of proclaiming my vow to God and also as a way to remind and encourage you all to do the same. Not that I'm saying you don't, I'm just reminding you. I think so many of you are actually part of the "official" ministry team that you see this as part of your job anyway, but it should be looked upon as so much more than a duty. I believe it really does make a difference in how people view God. Afterall, WE are HIM to this world.
4 comments:
It always saddens me to hear stories like this. Such stories aren't all that uncommon, and it really is a tragedy.
Although I am definitely not the most sociable people-person ever, and not especially good at initiating contact with strangers, whenever I see new people at church I tell myself "Katie, what would Jesus' personality do in this situation???" and that usually helps me to have the "guts" and the "compassion" to go over and say hi.
So yeah, that is a powerful vow you are making, and it could make a HUGE difference in a lot of people's lives.
Go for it!
Whenever I go to a new church for whatever reason, I always like to see how long it takes for someone to greet me and acknowledge me--and not just a greeter planted at the door who has to greet me. This is a major shortcoming in a lot of churches, and I think that a lot of times it's for exactly the reasons you named.
Now to brag on our church for a moment--this would never happen there. For one, we have Willie Ann. She never lets a guest go ungreeted, unwelcomed or seated alone. If they don't have anyone to sit with, she sits with them. What a gift!
God bless Willie Ann! One thing I did think was along those lines, too. Just that I could easily choose to sit with that new person. I mean, why not?
And Katie....those whispers from the Holy Spirit are exactly what I'm talking about. He's reminding me/us that it's not about our own comofort, but rather that other person's. Yep. Such a seemingly small thing. Yet, even that should tell us something! If it's such a small thing why do we get so much resistance????? Interesting....
Post a Comment