Monday, October 02, 2006

Pringle Package Project

Right now my 8th grade students are engineering packages that will safely deliver a single Pringle through the U.S.P.S. They had to come up with their design and make it. The goal was to make it with as little volume and mass as possible and still keep the Pringle safe. Some of their ideas were pretty traditional and were simple cardboard boxes stuffed with soft packaging. This group thought "outside the box" and used an old book to make a secret pocket within its pages. It's a unique idea...I'm just not sure about the mass and volume of this one.
I just love seeing them work as a team!
Their final step was to test and troubleshoot. This meant there were a lot of Pringle packages flying through the room! But the true test comes tomorrow when the packages head to Evansville to begin their journey back home. I can't wait to see whose Pringle makes it back in one piece!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHOA! I think that sounds terrificly exciting! I also like the alliteration. Miss Hayes, you like to wedge in some grammar into your science projects, don't you?

Definitely sounds like one of those projects where all the students can get involved and use their creativity! Also a good way to develop group work skills.

Anonymous said...

Oh, how fun!!! Wow... I wish I was in your science class, too, in the 7th and 8th grade.

Though I do admit that my 7th grade teacher was pretty good... but still I think you would have been better. And I don't even recall 8th grade science... did I even have science in 8th grade???

Anyhow... what a great project! It definitely stimulates thinking skills... and other important things.

:)

Becky Durham said...

Thanks for posting pictures! I wonder when the single pringles will arrive in Bloomfield?

Keep us posted on the Pringle Predicament!

Yolanda said...

How Cool! It was great to see pics of your students! I love your pringles package project...sounds like so much fun! Too bad I couldn't have had you as a teacher for science!!!!! I can't wait to hear how it all turns out!