Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Just Some Thoughts

The Pringles are off! They were mailed yesterday at approximately 3:45 Central Time, from Evansville headed back to Eastern Greene! I'm very excited to see how it all turns out. I think they did a great job. It'll just be interesting to see what kind of results they get. Now my 7th graders are working the classic design a container that a raw egg will survive in when dropped from a high height. This has already proven to be interesting. I'll post pictures later, I'm sure.

I had such a nice Tuesday evening in Evansville! I got to do all the things I can't do here. Well, maybe not ALL the things, but several. I went to the UE bookstore, a teacher's resource store, and a Christian bookstore. I got all kinds of goodies! Yet, best of all, I got to spend time with Becky! It was SO nice to see her and just talk...and talk...and talk! It was very refreshing. I got home very late and felt very tired today, but it was more than worth it.

Oh, and some other things.....

1) I don't know if all my students always agree that I'm a good teacher, as some of you commented about. I'm so scattered in my thinking most days that nothing is ever very fluid. Plus, I find that I yell (sorta) way too much. I just get so frustrated! But I can't go into that because, as I've learned, people who aren't teachers do not understand why a kid without a pencil is just about enough to send you to the looney bin! I've got so many stories that non-teachers hear and wonder how such a horrible person could be working with children. Oh but if you are with a group of teachers they get it and have stories just like them. Oh boy do they ever get it! Anyway, I'm just saying, I'm not really that great at my job. I just really want to be so I try...and fail...and then try again!

2) Today the funniest thing happened! It was the talk with nearly all the teachers. It probably won't be nearly as funny to all of you, but to us it was a hoot! At the start of activity period I went to talk to the math teacher about using her classroom for some meetings next week. While there, some of our 7th grade students were getting all upset because outside in the courtyard (which you can see from that room) there was a turtle in distress! It was on it's back and looked to be struggling to get back on its feet again. We were all in a panic! I had to get to class, but she took the steps to get there to save it. Well...I have many of those same students in my 4th period class and they were all too eager to tell me what transpired. As it turned out that turtle was not in distress at all. It was right where it wanted to be! Lying on top of another turtle trying to make more turtles to occupy our courtyard! Yep, the other one was hidden from our view, but was there nonetheless. It was a student cadet who went out to "save" this turtle only to find it didn't need saving, just some privacy! So all day we were making turtle jokes only to see that math teacher's face turn crimson at that thought of it all. It really was hilarious, but I guess you would have just had to have been there.

I guess that's all for now!

3 comments:

Becky Durham said...

LOL about the turtles. Some unintentional "health" education.

I'm sorry you were tired today, but I had so much fun Tuesday night!

:)

Anonymous said...

LOLOLOL about the turtles! That's great!

Anonymous said...

Oh I am so glad that you and Becky got to talk. I love Spirit-filled friendships.

I will be rooting for the Pringles. To be honest with you, though, I can't imagine any of them making it! Those postal workers are rough! But I look forward to finding out from you how things went!

Until I got older and married a man who spends many hours of every day among teachers, I never knew that teachers were the way they are! They are certainly a fascinating group dynamic.

I get embarrassed whenever I hear about animals' breeding habits, so I will not comment on your Point 2).

I am glad you got to go to the giant Christian bookstore. What were some of your purchases????