Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Pointless Little Updates, but Exciting Things to Me!

I got my haircut Friday night. It's been a long time coming but I just haven't had time to get there since school started. Well, my hair chica and I got to talking too much and, well, my hair is a wee bit shorter than I anticipated. However, my students love it! And, as I firmly believe, if my students like it then it must be good! Because when they just say, "Miss Hayes, did you get your haircut?", and that's all, then you know it's bad! But when they rush at you saying, "Miss Hayes! You got your haircut! It looks so cute/pretty/good, etc.", you know it's good! Funniest of all is what one of my boys who is one of the "cool" kids - a football player - had to say. As they were walking in I was brushing it out and he said, "No! Stop, it looks really good." And he was SO serious. It cracked me up. Since when does he care about the way I look? So, though shorter than I'd ever have asked for, I'm quite happy with my new 'do!

Also, I went to the first of 6 meetings to become a mentor for first year teachers. I volunteered to go because it's something I know I'll really enjoy doing in the future. However, as I sat there I realized I still need some more mentoring myself! My goodness, there's so much I still don't know! Oh well, our school has a need so I'm more than happy to do it. Even though I will miss school every Tuesday until mid-November. Ick. On the way home I was a little overwhelmed and questioning what I had gotten myself into. Then, at Wal-Mart, I saw one of our first year teachers and she was like, "I'm SO glad I ran into you! I have a question for you and I know I can ask you and you won't think anything bad about me for it." That totally encouraged me and was the sign I needed that God has ordained this. So, once again, God's timing is perfect!

Which leads into another point....

As I was driving home from this training I realized that I just DID NOT want to go to the school tonight to plan lessons for tomorrow. I had stayed until almost 7 last night and the thought of going back tonight was not appealing in even the least little way. So, I was thinking about what I could do with them. I have a wonderful DVD I bought in Houston over the summer, but I don't have a DVD player at school. And to get the big TV and DVD player requires much advanced requesting and even then it's a huge ordeal. So, guess what I did? Yeah, I went a bought a new TV and DVD player. My personal has been on it's way out for a while and I've figured I'd be buying a new within the year anyway, so I thought since I have the money now I should just do it. I prayed a little, didn't get any sign that I shouldn't, did a little price checking and now I have a new home TV and DVD/VHS combo and am taking my old stuff to school to keep there. I'm very excited about it! No more little TV to show movies on in which 1/2 the class can't see a thing AND I can now show DVDs.

My final point is that I initiated a "hello" to one of my students in the grocery store tonight. This doesn't seem like a big deal, but usually I avoid them. I just hate feeling like I can't go anywhere without seeing a gaggle of them! When I first started it was kinda cool, but now it's just frustrating. However, this one wouldn't have even seen me had I not called out her name. I am glad I did because she just lit up when she realized it was me. I hope this was the timing of God in some way. I just like to think that maybe she needed that today or something because it sure wasn't in my normal behavior to do that. Anyway, I like to believe every moment of our lives is important in the plan of God.

I'm done now. I have to set up my new T.V. and then try to wind down for bed.
Bye all.

3 comments:

Becky Durham said...

Dearest Jenny Jellyfish:

Thanks for the updates! Post a picture of your new do!

Also, the first letters of my confirmation are "ue"

Anonymous said...

How fascinating your life is (I am SERIOUS! I really do think that!)!

I like to read about the everyday happenings of your life.

How fun that your new 'do is popular with the teens!

Anonymous said...

I also liked reading that!

:o)