Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Dinner and a Hug

After my mentor training yesterday I went to Evansville and had dinner with Diane. It was so lovely! Such a God-centered encounter. I appreciate her (and Pastor Dennis, along with all of WOHG) so much more now than I ever did before. Hindsight is really an amazing thing, ya know? If I had only known then what I know now, I would have done so many things during my time in Evansville differently. Maybe hindsight is one of God's ways of encouraging us. I always feel so much better about my current situation when I can look back and see how I would have done things differently because of what I've learned since and how I've grown. It's good to be able to see that you have indeed come so far even when you still feel SO far from where you want to be.

Also...

Tonight was our Fall Term parent-teacher conferences. I do not really care much for these little meetings. My first year I got chewed out a lot so around noon I always start getting really sick and shakey. Today was not exception. To top it off, we have 12 possible slots and only 2 teachers in the entire school had all of them full. Most had 6 or less. Well, I was full with an additional list of parents who wanted to schedule a meeting for a later time. The number of parents did not help my nerves at all. So I said a little prayer and went for it! Boy did they ever surprise me!

The parents I met with were so supportive of me, easy to talk to, and had a good perspective on why their child was performing at the level they were. What a relief! None of them blamed me for their little darlings inability to turn in their homework! What's more is that I got to hear what the kids say about me at home. I don't mean to sound arrogant at all here, but it just made me feel so good to hear some of it. Like, it never ceases to amaze me how much some of the boys like me. The "cool" guys who play so aloof and even cause me some trouble some times always seem to be the ones who tell their parents how much they love me. It really cracks me up. The funniest thing tonight was one parent who hugged me and told me how thankful she was that I was the science teacher now.

It was all so encouraging and totally unexpected. Best of all, it makes me want to go back to work tomorrow. When you can look forward to your work, I think you must be in the right place.

4 comments:

Yolanda said...

Oh how loverly!!!!!!!! I am so glad that our God gave you such wonderful blessings in old friends and parents. How your day sounds like it was 'just what 'doctor God' ordered'...a day you so much needed and may I even say deserve. May you have more refreshing moments like these
Blessings

Tamara said...

How are Diana and Dennis. I left them on bad terms. I was a mess.

Becky Durham said...

I'm glad you had a nice dinner with Diane--I saw a picture of her in my things the other day and smiled. She was singing and dancing and that always filled me with joy!

And I'm so glad about your parent/teacher conferences. We have ours tomorrow!

Also, your last sentense is pretty much what I told one of my teenagers tonight. He was interviewing me for one of his classes and he asked me if I had any future career advice for him.

Also, YOU ROCK!

Becky Durham said...

And, my confirmation on that last one was "ytrypubz". LOL--Why Try Pubs?

I think I still need to catch up on some sleep...