Alright, I'm about to reveal a part of my personality that most of you are already well aware of. I' m not sure how you sum it up, but here's the story....
Last night the WB television network officially ended as it becomes the CW network today. No big deal, right? Well, I wasn't thinking so, either. That is until last night when the aired the first episodes of some of their first shows. Of them, two broke my heart as I watched and remembered many past experiences and realized how much time had passed in my life and how much has changed. Yes, Dawson's Creek and Felicity were once a major part of my life once upon a time.
Dawson's Creek was on of my sister's favorite shows and I watched it (initially) just because I wanted something to talk to her about. Of course with any ongoing drama, I got hooked and watched it for several seasons just for the sake of wanting to. At any rate, it's wild to think that when the show came on she was a young high school student and now she now has 2 kids and is in the middle of a divorce. How dramatically life has changed.
Felicity was one of my college roommate's favorites and brought back many memories of life in the dorm. That roommate was the one that always made me feel "okay" with liking really goofy things like WB dramas! She got married last weekend. I can remember talking to her continually about her future wedding back then, but at that time there was an ongoing change in who the groom would be. Back then we were going to be the honored bridal attendants dressed in orange and magenta. At present time our relationship didn't even merit an invitation to the wedding. How dramatically life has changed.
For me the ending to anything that ever played a role in my life is a major thing. This past summer a lot of things seemed to come to an end. That or I finally accepted the finality of many situations that I had been trying to hold onto in vain. I had a lot of moments over the last several months in which I just stopped and cried and sought God on why everything always has to end and why there is nothing I can count on to be constant*. It's been bittersweet. Afterall, in order for God to do new works, others have to come to an end. I suppose I just wish that the new things could begin before the old ended.
I know that the thought of being saddened by the end of a television network would elicit such feelings is silly to most of you, but to me it is very real and a very strong set of emotions. It just seems that life moves faster and faster as the days go by and less and less seems to be worth holding onto or investing in because nothing will ever last and when it is over it take a piece of my heart with it. Hm. I suppose that it why you should be wise to invest in only things that are truly worth it.
*I know full well that God is the one constant thing I can hold onto. I count on that and am thankful for that. I don't downplay that at all. My point is just that this side of heaven I've yet to find anything that doesn't eventually bid me farewell and break my heart in the process.
6 comments:
I'm sorry I can't relate to the whole Dawson's Creek and Felicity thing. I wouldn't have touched those shows with a 10-foot pole! Or a 10-meter pole for that matter!
But, to each her own, and I am sure you wouldn't spend at least 1.5 hours per week watching soccer on TV(as I tend to do). And nobody else besides myself thinks that show "Whose Line is it Anyway" is like the funniest show ever in the history of TV (except for the awkward risque parts) and sometimes it makes me laugh so hard I injure myself.
But I can and do appreciate that the end of the WB network evoked such strong feelings in you because you are you and God made you who you are and He loves what He has made!
Plus that you are one of the most unique individuals on the face of planet earth that I have ever had the privilege to know, and your personality makes me very happy!
I think "Who's Line..." is a GREAT show! I watched it for like 4 hours a few Fridays ago (it was some sort of marathon showing). But soccer, eh, no thanks. :)
I like Who's Line, too, but since we don't have cable/sattelite anymore there's nowhere to watch it.
I remember watching Dawson and Felicity with you! And I'll admit that when I saw the commercial on the WB that said, "After 11 years..." and saw that they were going to replay the first episodes of their "landmark" shows, I was a bit nostalgic as well!
Of course, lately for some reason, I'm nostalgic about a lot of things. Jason said he was the same way as his 30th birthday got closer and closer. Of course, mine's still 1.6 years off, but that's what he thinks it is.
It could be, but I've been like that OVERLY lately and I haven't even been thinking about getting older or anything. I think there's "something in the air". Or, I dunno, for me it's just like a lot is changing - or feels like it's about to - and that always makes me more reflective.
Ugg There is something in the air. And I hate it. I am personally going through a transition were God is again pulling me away from close friends. Jenny I miss your company. We need to pow wow.
PS: My word verification was fiblo. I just like that.
They were two of my favorites also. I still watch Dawson's Creek on TBS from time to time.
Post a Comment