Saturday, September 09, 2006

Can You Read This?

On this ever exciting Saturday I began to play around with Microsoft Word. I recalled that a speaker at one of the education conferences I attended in the past spoke of the ability to identify the reading level and level of readability of a document. She was sharing this because most school textbooks are written well above the actual grade level they are intended for. This being especially true of science textbooks.

So, today I typed in several passages of my 7th graders text and, sure enough, it was consistently well over an 11.5 grade level! The readibility was only an average of 45%! No wonder they don't get anything out of the reading! Perhaps I should be a bit more sympathetic when giving a reading quiz.

I also then ran this little test on some of the papers I submitted for my previous master's work. Ha! Ha! I write at an 11th grade level according to this test BUT my readability was in the 60% range (which is a very acceptable score based on the the scales definitions). However, my blogs are at an 8th grade level! LOL Like that's a big surprise!

Anyway, this was a fun Saturday activity for me. You should try it sometime. It really makes ya think about what you're writing! (Well...except in the case of blogs!)

6 comments:

Becky Durham said...

Hey, you spelled out OSIA in big letters down your blog entry...

I wonder why you feel you have to write at an 8th grade level? ;)

Hennyfair said...

Does OSIA mean something?

Becky Durham said...

Of course! But I suppose you DO have to be reading at a 14th grade reading level to understand.

Actually, no, but for the record I say it like "Asia" with a short "o".

I was just pointing it out.

Hennyfair said...

Ok! Good bc I was afraid I really was stuck at an 8th grade level! :)

Becky Durham said...

Here are some real choices (I googled them) about what OSIA stands for:

Order Sons of Italy in America

Open Source Industry Australia

Oregon Self Insurers Association.

Of course, I don't know how to say "Oregon" correctly, so let's not make it that one.

I DO want to go to Italy, though.

Hennyfair said...

If those initials ever come up in Balderdash I will now be prepared to give a correct answer! Thanks!