As all teachers, public school workers, and those with children know, much to the contrary of modern calendars, summer truly begins when the last day of school let's out each year. Thus...SUMMER HAS ARRIVED!
I had not realized just how much I was looking forward to this day until midway through my 7th period class when an uncontrollable giddiness rose within me. Luckily my students were still testing so my enthusiasm did not compound theirs. However, those last 10 minutes of class were pretty much chaos. Yet, at that point, it just didn't matter. The students seem to think that summer vacation is for them, but little do they know that is have very little to with them and is mostly about us maintaining our sanity. (Which I suppose is to their benefit, also.)
Walking down the halls at the end of the day on the last day of school is also quite interesting. The kids clear out more quickly than usual and are not left lingering in the halls just looking for trouble to find them. Everyone has a smile on their face and is much friendlier than at any other time of the year. Eeveryone is your friend and you love everyone! It's the most glorious time of the year!
Alright, I'm being a bit dramatic, which I know is a surprise to all of you, but I feel REALLY good right now. I still have to go back tomorrow to finish grading finals and to clean my room, but that is actually a delight since I don't have the pressure of doing it whilst working with my kids or with time restraints.
The only real question that remains is that of what my summer will hold. After a very tumultuous, discouraging, and confusing year I'm actually looking forward to something. That something is having nothing I have to do. However, right now I'm going to get off of the computer and clean my apartment. I want to start the summer off right and I can think of nothing more refreshing and rejuvenating at this point than to have a nice, clean, fresh smelling apartment.
Happy summer to you all!
3 comments:
Yay for you! I am happy!
I'm also delighted that you used the word "whilst" in your post: "I don't have the pressure of doing it whilst working with my kids or with time restraints".
In much of my English literature the authors used "whilst" and I've almost taken the leap of faith to begin using it. I think, though, that whilst I am still on the I.U. Bloomington campus, I shall refrain and wait until I get to some place new!
I am THRILLED for you, and I mean it.
I loved reading that you are filled with giddiness! May your giddiness only grow!
But don't forget to blog a bunch this summer!
Bring on the summer! You made it!
Post a Comment