Sunday, November 13, 2005

It's All Relative

During worship at church this evening a cool thought came to me. In the song we were singing there was something about God's beauty. Now, I don't remember the song or the line or anything I just remember thinking about His beauty. At which point I stopped singing and just smiled as a sweet peace settled over me as I recounted just how beautiful He is.

In my science class I always tell my students that they need clarify any obervations they are making. If they say something is "big", does that mean big like an elephant or big like a skyscrapper? Does "heavy" mean heavy like a bowling ball or heavy like a car? Or my favorite, "Miss Hayes, are we going to do something fun today?" To which I reply, "It's all relative my dears! What is fun to me may not be fun to you and what is fun to you may not be fun to me."

But as I was thinking about the Lord there is nothing "relative" about Him. He is absolute. He is not beautiful relative to a flower or relative to a sunset. HE IS BEAUTIFUL AND NOTHING CAN EVEN COMPARE! And it's the same for everything about Him. His faithfulness, His goodness, His peace, His provision....there isn't even a way to compare to anything else!

If my students were to say "Miss Hayes, is God beautiful?" All I'd be able to say is "Yes."

4 comments:

Tamara said...

I have been thinking about God's beauty lately as well. God kept bringing me back to this verse.
Isa 53:2
He had no form or majesty that we should look at Him, and no beauty that we should desire Him.
ESV
Now that verse goes on to talk about the suffering servant. I suppose when it refers to Jesus having “no beauty” the passage is speaking to a specific time. It is speaking about people’s misconception of the coming Messiah. The moment when He came as a babe up until He was crucified. He didn’t have the worldly idea of beauty when He came to earth. But, now I wonder what beauty does Jesus have now that He is risen and on the thrown. Is His face and form beautiful? Does His revealed person make Him beautiful? Is His character beautiful? Does He still have that form from which men turn their faces? What makes someone majestic and beautiful? You are right we can’t clarify why God is beautiful. He conceals certain things about Himself to make us seek the matter out. What we consider beautiful is not necessarily what God considers beautiful. We have so much to investigate. I love God for that.

Hennyfair said...

Sarah - I'll be happy to participate in a Bloomfield "GOD IS NOT RELATIVE!" parade w/ you. Hm? Homosexuals have marches and rallies like that to show their "pride", I wonder what would happen if we did the same.

Tamara - That's just it....everything in our society is given value based on something else. God's value cannot be compared with anything else. His "value" is without relativity! To even say Jesus as the suffering servant was without beauty is relative to societal standards because Jesus (ragged or bejeweled) IS beauty! It's not based on the standards we give such words as "beauty." That is just rocking my world in the last 24 hours. I love it! But oh so many questions you've lead into! A good thinker you are, my friend!

Hennyfair said...

Correction....I mean to say "Bloomington" parade, not Bloomfield. But, hey, we can just make it a super long parade!

Mr and Mrs Lorentzon said...

Awww...I just loved reading that post about Jesus' non-relative beauty.

That is one of those lovely revelations that you get in the middle of worship. I LOVE LOVE LOVE those kind of revelations. And I also love having some kind of forum to share those revelations (like a blog) because then that revelation becomes not just something for you but something you can share with others! That is great.

Nothing about God is not relative. I love that!