Monday, January 20, 2014

Introducing Samuel Micheal Little

As promised.......

(Please keep in mind, these are only pictures taken from our phones. I haven't had a chance to download any from the camera yet.)

On January 14, 2014 we welcomed our son into the world.  This is his first picture with his momma (ME!) just after his arrival at 12:30 pm. He weighed in at 9lbs, 12oz with a length of 21inches.  I don't look so great, but look at those chubby little cheeks on our little guy! He was a big boy, but was still so tiny!


Even after nearly 40 weeks of discussion, we still hadn't picked a name for our Little guy. It took us 3 days full of much prayer and discussion to finally arrive at his name: Samuel Micheal Little.


Why Samuel??? There are several reasons. It was important that the name have a personal meaning to us. Samuel can mean "God has heard" and since we had been asking the Lord for a child for some time and were not really sure how God was going to answer that prayer. We fully believed He would and continued to rest in the fact that He had heard our prayers. He, as always, showed Himself to be faithful and good to us. For me, early in the pregnancy, I was having a lot of anxiety and many questions about what lay ahead for all of us as a family. The Lord reminded me of the story of Hannah who had prayed for a child. The Lord heard her prayer and she in turn dedicated that child to Him. He reminded me constantly throughout the pregnancy (and especially once he had arrived!) to continually give my son to Him. For Zach, it was especially meaningful that Samuel in the OT was both a judge, prophet, and a counselor to King David. All things we pray that, in some way, will be part of our Samuel's destiny in life. 


Why Micheal??? Zach's father's name is Micheal and we wanted to honor him by naming him after him. In addition, it is somewhat of a tradition in his family that the male children will have the grandfather's or father's name as part of their name.

This is the first picture is of Mr. Samuel Micheal Little after he was finally given a name.


Although this is a very unflattering picture of me I had to post it because it is one of the only ones we have of the two of us in the hospital. Besides, it's hard to look good under these conditions! I ended up with a C-section and wasn't even able to get out of bed for the first 24 hours and then was limited in my mobility for the next 24 hours. It is not easy to even look human after all of that! Regardless, I felt wonderful and loved every minute of being with our new son. Well...almost every minute. There were a few times around 2 am or so that we weren't loving so much!




This is a picture of our Little little about an hour before heading home from the hospital.





Since arriving at home this is my view a lot of the time. Unfortunately, this is usually what I see around 4 pm. I would much rather see it around 4 am, but Samuel seems to enjoy spending quality time with us around that time and is wide awake and ever-so-alert. Oh well! We enjoy our time with him, too. Even at 4 am :)






Here he is with his his teddy bear while relaxing in his Snuggabunny bouncer.




Today we had our first trip to the doctor. He did SO well! He barely whimpered the whole time and, as Zach said, really put on a show for the doctor. As in, usually he screams and cries every time his clothes come off. Not this time. He was as good as can be; the model patient! Here he is with his daddy.


Unfortunately, Samuel lost a lot of weight since birth so we had to make sure he was not losing more and, hopefully gaining some. He had gotten down to 8lb, 4oz when we left the hospital on Friday. Today he was back up to 8lb, 10oz. So we are doing well! I hadn't realized until today how chubby his little face was at birth compared to now. I mean, he still has adorable little round cheeks, but I can tell a difference from the first picture to these later ones.





So, there you have it! A first look at Mr. Samuel Micheal Little. I am sure there will be more to come because, as I'm learning, parents really love to take pictures of their children. :)











2 comments:

Katie in Sweden said...

He is absolutely beautiful. God is awesome!

Sarah Oyerinde said...

He is amazing! I definitely see his daddy in him. :)

Good job, Jenny and Zach, in keeping your focus on Christ, and in carrying that guy to term. Strength and blessings to you.