Wednesday, December 26, 2012

5 Things About My Job

It is a pretty slow day today here at work and, much to my delight, my blog isn't being blocked by our firewal today! So I'm going to write and, yes, it will be too long but I am eager to update Hennyfair's Haven.

Here goes.....

Five Things I Like...No...LOVE...About My Job


1. The People. I am "officially" part of the finance team, but work with every department on some level. In my role I have had a chance to get to know everyone to some degree or another. I LOVE THAT! I so enjoy getting to have random chats throughout the day with a huge variety of people (including all of the delivery people and maintenance staff and others of that nature). I get to hear about the joys and concerns of their day-to-day life plus, I also have a lot of opportunities to give advice to parents from the viewpoint of a teacher. This role also provides me an opportunity to share my faith and to be an encouragement to Christians in the office. It is nice to work in the "adult world" for the time being.

2. Low Stress. There are still some crazy busy days and, at times, entire weeks. Yet, overall I can accomplish everything I need to each day and leave at 5:00 pm without anything weighing on me, hanging over my head, or that needs to be done at home before returning the next day. I could especially tell this is true when returning to work today. Always before I would be stressed for several days into a break and dreaded going back to work;  I would think about it the entire break. Even though I only got two working days off for Christmas I didn't mind it at all because coming back to work isn't a dreadful or stressful thing.

3. The Benefits. I shall try to sum this up quickly. I do not wish to sound as if I'm boasting because I really and truly am not. Mostly it is just that I am a) so VERY, VERY thankful and b) am blow away that the corporate world has so many more perks than the world of education/non-profit did. My pay per year is more than what I made most of my teaching career and I have arguably the best insurance coverage you could ever imagine (Seriously....it is riduculous how awesome it is!). I still get plenty of time off, including frequent unexpected 1/2 days and we have AMAZING corporate parties with fantastic give-aways. I was further shocked and blessed by a VERY generous Christmas bonus after having only worked here for 4 months. That is not counting all of the "little" things that happen day-to-day that bless me beyond words. I can say all of this because I give all the glory to God for bringing me to this place. I left teaching out of obedience and accepted this job out of obedience. Z & I know that we are in a time of being positioned for things to come and the Lord is being more than gracious during this transitory time.

4. I Am Learning. While I can do most of this job without thinking, I am also learning so much. In part, I'm learning new technical skills, like widely used corporate software systems and how to operate newer versions of office equipment. More than that, I'm learning how to interact in a culture that is far different than anything I've ever been a part of. I have worked almost exclusively in the worlds of education, Christian ministry, or part-time retail roles. Now I work in a Saudi Arabian owned multi-billion dollar petrochemical company that has a focus on making money. Pretty much all of my other jobs had some sort of focus on imparting into people's lives (except some of the part-time roles, but even then my role was still all about solving a customer problem). It is just SO different than my other jobs. Yes, people are still people and I approach everyone just as I did when I worked in these other roles, but there are certain mindsets that had to be thrown out in order to do this job well. Everything from ordering supplies on a corporate budget to how you greet CEO's of companies from all over the world. I like that I can do the day-to-day fuctions of this job fairly easily but still have areas where I'm being stretched and have a chance to take something away. Plus, I firmly believe that there will be another role for me within this company at some point. It is just a matter of the Lord's timing.

5. Flowers. This one may seem silly, but to me it is of great importance and a huge perk. We get a weekly delivery of fresh flowers. They sit on a table directly in front of my desk. I look forward to the delivery with eager anticiaption every Monday. On Friday afternoon someone always takes them home and on more than one occassion I have done so also. This is particularly awesome when I'm hosting a bridal shower, holiday party, or something of that sort because I take them and have an instant and gorgeous decoration! I LOVE FLOWERS! So I believe that Lord provided this perk especially for me. :)

I LOVE MY JOB!!!!

No comments: