Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Excuse Me?

For the past 2 days my students have been working in the computer lab on biome projects. For all of those who have never worked with middle school students you may not realize that at times they can be very needy, demanding, impatient, , wasteful, whiney, lazy, inattentive and very easily distracted....just to name a few things that come to mind! So, when you get them all in one small room trying to use technology that they may or may not have any abilities to use(other than being able to find their way to internet sites they are not allowed to be on!) on equipment that may or may not work because our technology is so out-of-date, it can be absolutely maddening! Yes, I know....I sound uber-negative but it's been a looooog two days! (Plus it is the end of the year so I am also greatly resembling the aforementioned adjectives!) Thankfully I get to end most of my days on an upswing. My last period this year is unlike any last period class in the past. Usually the last period of the day is extremely chaotic; the worst class of the day. This year I have an honors class with mostly really good, well-intentioned kiddos. I think the Lord knew I would need it this year with the way the rest of my classes go throughout day! With all that said, I was in absolute shock when one of my very best students came up to me today and asked me, "Are we allowed to use F-Bombs?" I just sat there and stared at him in disbelief. Then I asked him to repeat himself. Again he asked, "Are we allowed to use F-Bombs?" My very appropriate response to such a questions was, "No!" Of course, I just know this was accompanied by a horrific look on my face. The look he gave back was just as shocking to me as his question. He seemed to be in disbelief that I wouldn't allow them to use such profanity in my class. Let alone on their biome project! I couldn't understand it! Why in the world would you need to use that to describe the tundra, rain forest, taiga, or any of the others??? And from him! I was so saddened and disappointed in him. I mean, where is the hope for our future generations when even the best kids require the use of such vulgarity??? In the 20 seconds of this intereaction, that seemed to go on for an eternity, my mind simply couldn't register where this conversation was coming from and I was utterly dismayed. Until..... He glanced down at the box of headphones next to my desk. That's when it clicked! Oh!!!! He wants to know "Are we allowed to use HEADPHONES?" I LOST IT! I started laughing hysterically. (Which I think may have scared him a little!) Ah yes.....to most it may not seem like much of a story but just know that usually my mind has turned to mush by this time of the day but God alone knows how to get me back in the game! I'm still chuckling inside over it. :)

2 comments:

Hennyfair said...

I have no idea what happened to all of my paragraphs. They disappeared when I posted. Oh well!

Becky Durham said...

ha--I was like, Gee, Jenny, write the hugest paragraph ever!

As someone who regularly misunderstands the students she works with, I thought it was hilarious.