Lists seem to make getting back into blogging easier. So, today I'm going to share some of what I've learned about food since moving to Houston. I should also note that this blog is dedicated to Zach because, if you knew him, you would quickly see that this post is heavily laced with his influences. :)
So, here you go...I have discovered many things. Some of my biggest discoveries:
1) Mexcican food in America is not truly Mexican. BUT the closer you get to the border the better it is (just don't tell my Texan friends that because I still swear by Ind-Mex!).
2) Spicy food is good. Despite having disliked spicy hot food in the past and swearing I'd never like it, I am now willing to endure the pain for the sake of flavor. Specifically, I now love Indian food and will happily fight through the pain it brings with each bite.
3) Guacamole is God's gift to Jenny. If you ever make it down here I will have my friends Michael and Paige make you some of theirs. It is truly the best guacamole that has ever passed over my lips. We request it whenever we can find an excuse to do so. For example: Yesterday...St. Patrick's Day...guac is green...it was a necessary addition to our meal. :)
4) I adore hummus. I had never had it before moving here. Now I can't get enough! I think it's more the garlic in the kind I eat but, still, the texture plus the flavor...mmmm.....yummy!
5) Go for a local restaurant. 90% (+/- 3%) of the time a local restaurant will be better than a chain.
6) I like steak. Yes. I admit it. I never, ever, ever would have thought those words would come from me. Yet, I just said it. When prepared properly steak can be really awesome.
7) Cajun food is ever-so-tasty. Etouffee, crawfish, dirty rice, the seasonings....all very nice.
8) It is worth paying more for good coffee. And if you grind it yourself it will be even better.
9) Asian markets are really cool. It's fun to just walk around and explore but it's also a great place to buy rice and to experience new types of produce (amongst other things).
10) French food rocks. It may be bad for you but it's so worth it! God bless butter, escargot, fresh bread, and cheese!
11) Natural/organic peanut butter is the only way to go. Laura Scudder's or Smucker's are my top two picks at this time. Jiff, Peter Pan, or Skippy might be good but the natural stuff is FAR better and healthier, too. I used to disagree but I now realize it's just because the others have so much sugar that I really just liked the sweetness of it. Now I can't hardly eat any of those other kinds.
12) Recipes are guidelines not Biblical Truth one must cook by.
And finally...
13) Always be willing to try something new. Whether you are trying a new dish at a restaurant, buying a different type of beverage (like Mexican sodas or Asian juices), or choosing to go to dinner some place you've never been or even heard of...chances are it won't be that last thing you ever consume so take a chance. You may end up disappointed but there's a greater chance that you'll stumble upon something that you really like.
HA! This post was written just after I worked out. I guess I used up a lot of calories because I was quite hungry when I started writing. Then I had some hummus. Now I am happily un-hungry. :)
1 comment:
I enjoyed this!! trying to get back into blogging...I love HUMUS tooooo!!!!!
I am glad you are enjoying life in Texas!!!
Blessings!
Post a Comment