Thursday, June 19, 2008

At Home in Houston

I'm finally back in Houston. I am HAPPILY back in Houston! It was a nice trip, but not one I'd want to do again. I mean, it wasn't bad or anything it was just....different. It was good seeing my family, my friends, and just being out of the city rush, but it was a very exhausting and emotionally draining (almost) 2 weeks.

Upon reaching Indiana the rain began and the flooding soon followed. My family had some issues due to the flooding but it was nothing compared to surrounding cities/counties/states. Just a pond in the yard and a flooded basement that left us without air conditioning and hot water off and on for several days. Still, nothing compared to the washed out roads, evacuated homes, and deaths due to the high waters elsewhere.

Aside from the fun of the flood, we mostly just chilled with my family, toured my hometown, and spent time with some of my high school friends. This included lots of time with my sister and her kids, a night/day in Indy, and visiting the grand ole city of Bloomfield. Pretty laid back and uneventful.

After our stay at my family's we made our way down to Evansville. This was a most interesting stop on our little trip. Everything there was just odd. All I've been able to say to explain this time there is that it was a shadow of everything that once was. Nothing was the same. Not totally different. Just not the same. Even so, it was great seeing old friends from that time in my life.

Even though I stated at the start of this that I'm not sure it's a trip I'd like to make again, I know I will. I mean, it's inevitable. I will go back home. I will visit Evansville again. I just will! Still, I'm not in any rush to do it again. There was nothing about this trip that made me sad about coming back. Wait...not true. I really do miss my nieces and nephews like CRAZY! I'd go back to see them every weekend if it was possible. Other than that, I think I'll be much more patient about them coming to see me from now on. I'm in no rush to head back that way for a while.

(I'll try to do some pics soon, but I left my camera at my mom's and won't have it back for a few days.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Praise God that your family is all okay. I was surely praying for your family and their little town a few months back whenever you had mentioned that you had "strange spiritual stirrings". Probably, it was one of the things God wanted to protect them from.

I'm sad that I missed you. But, I have a feeling that I'll be seeing you again soon; probably in Texas.

Kristen said...

Glad to have you back in H-town!!! And glad you made it back safely...looking forward to seeing you!

Tamara said...

I was wondering if your trip was interrupted by the waters. Thanks for the update. Can't wait to see pictures.

Mr and Mrs Lorentzon said...

We now have dates for our stay in the USofA!

We would love to try to work out to come to Texas!

We will be in the US from Sept 15 to Dec 12.