"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.'" ~Jeremiah 29:11-13
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Only In Science Class
So, I found myself in the midst of a rather bizarre conversation today. A student asked me, "If you were a bacteria, would you rather have a flagellum or just wriggle around?" What's sad is that this did not come across as odd, but rather it sparked a discussion about being a bacteria versus a virus and before I knew it we were doing a pretty good analysis of the pros and cons of it. Until one kid finally said, "Um, Miss, why are we imagining being bacteria and viruses?" Then I just sorta laughed and realized that only in science class would I ever have such a conversation....and I think that's probably a good thing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
This is SO great! As a science person, I feel it necessary to join in on the conversation...so I would much rather have a flagellum...that way I could go places, rather than just "waller" around!!!
So, dear Henny, are you pro-flagellum?
;)
Actually, I'm more of a wriggler! Flagella are all cool and stuff, but I think I'm more the type to just be all jittery and antsy like.
How much more bizarre that this conversation has now continued beyond the classroom!
I think you could have a school-wide contest to determine which scientific word sounds the silliest when you say it out loud!
"flagellum" would rank fairly high.
I would want to have a flagellum, that way I could swing my tail around and shove you wigglers out of the way. Hehehe :-)
Sooo the other day I ordered a flagellum, but see they were all out of ice cream. That made me mad because there supposed to have those things. You know me and my sweet tooth.
Post a Comment