Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Perfect Pancake

So you all must be wondering just what was the talk of the day amongst 7th graders at Eastern Greene Jr. High. Well you've come to the right place for that information!

Every once in a while we'll just have a good day. From 1st period on through 7th. Today was pretty much one of those days. Yet the best part was the talk that arose in 1st period and carried throughout the day. See, I've become friends with our new FACS teacher (Family and Consumer Sciences...um...Home Ec for all of you non-public school followers) so she and I swap stories and share advice on how to deal with our lovely little adolescents. Well, yesterday she told me how they'd made milkshakes on Monday and how well they did. So, when they came to me today in 1st period and I overheard them talking about FACS I gave them some compliments on what I'd heard about them. (In hopes of encouraging them to keep it up for her.) To which the ensuing conversations about pancakes arose.....


Apparently they got to make pancakes on Tuesday so I got to hear all about it. I learned that Jorge* had burnt all of his and put them in his locker afterward. Which inadvertently left all of his belongings smelling like burnt pancakes and, thus, him as well for the remainder of the day. I learned about Richie's* pancake turned omelet due to a flipping malfunction. And of of Hope's * uncooked, gooey centered pancakes that no one would touch with a 10-foot pole. Yet, best of all was the story of THE PERFECT PANCAKE. James* had made the most perfectly sized, golden brown, light and fluffy pancake that any of them had EVER seen. So much so that every single class had to tell me about this PERFECT PANCAKE (with no prompting from me). It was a riot! To think that the theme of our day was pancakes in and of itself is quite humorous to me, actually. But the icing on the cake was when I saw the FACS teacher and she jumped into the story about THE PERFECT PANCAKE, too. I was dying laughing! Who knew that a 7th grade boy could be the talk of the entire grade due to a pancake!?! So much so that even his teacher came home to write about it on her blog! Now that's one powerful pancake!

If only there had been a picture you too could have seen this PERFECT PANCAKE and possibly shared the story of it with everyone you met today. Alas, even I didn't get to see the proof of this popular pancake with my own eyes. But I'll tell ya, if your life ever gets dull, teach school for a year or so. It'll keep you on your toes and you'll hear and see things you never could have imagined. And, perhaps, just maybe, if you're lucky, you might just stumble upon a perfect pancake along your journey!

4 comments:

Tamara said...

That makes me laugh. How wonderful. What a great conversation. We need to delight more in things like this. In one episode of numb3rs Charlie Epps had a dream about pancakes. I personally don't like them. In the show he confessed to not liking them either. What is it with pancakes? HAHAHA

Brian and Kristina Schmitt said...

Ahh yes, like in the public school systems....I hear all kinds of things myself. However the most amusing thing I have heard lately was myself telling our District Child Find Coordinator that I would follow her to her in just a minute, "But I have to go potty first." I walked down the hallway thinking....sheesh their getting to me!
Does that tell you what kind of kids "I" work with??? !!

Becky Durham said...

Yummmm...pancakes...

Thanks for the story that made me laugh out loud after a hard day of work.

Yolanda said...

OH Jenny, that was the best and PERFECT pancake story I have ever heard!!! I soooooo needed that laugh. And what a wonderful story to read to after reading all the horrible things happening in US schools these days. I have almost decided that I would rather stay oblivious to what's going on in the U.S. and stop reading the news...if only you could send this story to Fox, CNN etc....
Blessings!!!!!