Thursday, September 21, 2006

Beware the Fundraisers!

School is back in session therefore there is fundraising galore. Being the ever-so-supportive teacher that I am, I always buy way too much stuff. I have more cutsie pie tins that came less than packed full of gummy bears, flavored popcorn, and chocolately covered treats. I've tried more flavored cheeses and mustards in the last year than I can recall (or ever care to)! The number of candles in my "just in case I need a gift" reserve is beyond my abilities to count. I have cookbooks, t-shirts, calendars, and a myriad of gidgets and gadgets which have no purpose other than to clutter my kitchen drawers. So, yesterday when the announcement was made for choir students to pick up their fundraising sales, I knew today would be "treat day" for Miss Hayes. I was not at all disappointed when I got to school.

This morning I was met by a gaggle of students who were awaiting my arrival in order to deliver the goods I had purchased. What is of extreme amusement to me, and thus the reason I post this, is that I must have been in a "mood" the week I placed my orders. It seems I ordered 4 different types of sausages. Yes, all my purchases were sausage! I have large summer sausage, special blend summer sausage, and two varieties of individual sized sausage sticks. Who knew I loved sausague so much? I for one sure did not! I am not even sure I like it at all! I am completely perplexed as to why I ordered it such a large quantity of it, yet I have no doubt I did. They, too, were 100% sure that I had indeed ordered these specific items. Sadly, I'm sure they are correct.

The entire situation brings much joy to my morning. I always order these things with some reason in mind at the time, but come delivery I cannot remember even placing the order, let alone why I ever felt the need to buy it. Thus, I end up with 4 sausage orders!

I will leave you with this one concluding thought:

Beware the fundraisers! Lest you end up like Miss Hayes - collector of a perplexing mix of useless junk!

12 comments:

Yolanda said...

Oh Miss Hayes!!! That was hilarious and soooo true, so true!!!! I used to do the same thing...not with sausages however...hahahahha.

Now that I am here in Ecuador, I kind of miss all of those opportunites to 'buy'...like, where are the Girl Scouts???---hasn't someone decided to "International-ize" that organization yet??? I haven't had any Thin Mints now for 3 years...hahahahahahaha
Enjoy your sausages!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do wonder what Jenny Hayes + Girl Scout cookies looks like...But I guess your kiddos are too old for that??? I bet Becky has the chance to eat lots 'o' GS cookies!!! My mom always sends us at least one or two boxes each year. Niklas never gets what the big hullabaloo is about them, though! (but he likes to mush up Thin Mints in his ice cream!)

The sausages, though, that is just WEIRD! I think all those students are pulling your leg! A sausage "mood" or "phase" sounds highly unlikely to me!!!

:o)

Hennyfair said...

I just want it to be known that even since I wrote my post, I've been hit up to buy Boy Scout popcorn. It never ends!

As for Girl Scout cookies...I always limit my purchasing to 2 boxes. I get my favorites: carmel delights and peanut butter patties! Yum-yum! Only, in different regions they are called different things. Except for the thin mints. They are the same whever you go and a favorite of most! Even in Sweden and Ecuador apparently!

As for the sausage situation, after much thought (literally) I think I recall what it was about. I believe I chose that because the candles were too expensive and I didn't want to bring chocolate into my home. Therefore, I got sausage! Lower calorie and has a least a little nutritional value. Perhaps not the best reasons, but I think that must have been it. I played the "If it were today that I was ordering, what would I get?" And that is the conclusion I came to and I figure a month ago I probably thought the same thing!

Becky Durham said...

Ha ha :) I always order from the first one who asks me and that's it. Otherwise, I'd be like you.

However, with GS cookies I order one from each girl in my troop. We freeze them or give them away.

Also, Yolanda, GS is an international organization! You should have some in Ecuador...maybe...I think...Anyway, it actually started in England.

You can usually buy GS Cookies any time of the year on Ebay.

TMI? Probably.

Hennyfair said...

I'm usually a "first come first serve" customer, too. But when it's music groups I have to support them! Even so, in a school there is always a fundraiser going. ALWAYS!

Yolanda said...

Oh Man, Becky, I wish you wouldn't have told me that I could possibly find my Thin Mints here...that could be bad...TMI yes it was...Thin Mint Invasion!!!! Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! hahahaha!

Anonymous said...

Thin Mint Invasion!!!

That's funny!!!

I like Samoas...are they called by some other name in the Midwest???

Hennyfair said...

Yes! Those are the carmel delights! YYYYUUUUUUMMMMMYYYY!

Yolanda said...

Sad news...we HAD Girl Scouts here, but it is now inactive....and it appears in several south american countries GS is now inactive!!! What a bummer...but go figure, there was a Scout Convention here in Ecuador this past June! How funny! I guess no TMI will be happening here! That's probably a good thing in the long run!!!! But boy did I have my hopes up for a minute!

Anonymous said...

My favorite are the of course the traditional Thin Mints though I find that I don't like them as much as I did as a child. My very favorites are Carmel Delights also and the Pinatas. I also like but don't often buy then Lemon Pastries, and Peanut Butter Patties. I usually try to buy off of my niece if I know they are selling things.

Anonymous said...

Haha!

You people are crackin' me up!

Becky Durham said...

We sell the old school cookies with the old school names: Thin Mints, Do si dos, Tag-a-longs, Samoas, All Abouts...

Troop 981 starts seeling cookies January 12!