Sunday, August 20, 2006

One Student's Goals

I have an 8th grade student who was also one of my 7th grade students. She missed a lot of school last year and I never quite understood why. She was not the brightest student, but definitely a smart kid. A "B" student. She's a little immature, but ultra sweet. Kinda goofy, but really just enthusiastic whenever attention is shown to her. I'm not sure who her friends are, but I know she doesn't have a lot. She always just sorta blends into the crowd, but I do notice her often. My heart is drawn to her. However, because she is so good I often neglect to acknowledge and encourage her. As those of you who work with kids a lot know, out of necessity your attention is usually taken up by those that are acting out. This girl is definitely not one of those kids.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I had my students set goals. One for this week, one for our first grading period, and one for the entire year. This young girl set all 4 goals around her attendance and attitude towards school. She set a goal of, "Don't miss any days of school."
Steps to do so, "Tell myself every morning that school isn't so bad. Keep a positive attitude about school. Keep my future in mind." The rest were similar.

That literally broke my heart into a million pieces. It was confirmation for what I already knew, but never acted upon. I know she wasn't seeking attention through manipulation by writing it or anything, I just really believe that she wrote what she knew to be important goals.

I write this to ask you to pray for her. I am going to try to be much more conscious of her and try to go out of my way to do those things I always know I should but have always been too preoccupied to act upon. If God grants the opportunity, I hope to be able to talk to her about what she wrote, also. Our schedule just really doesn't permit much one-on-one communication.

Peaches, I believe the word you gave me earlier of "notice" was very timely and I took it to heart. I believe God has opened my eyes to see things in my students that I had missed in the past. Thankfully, I also seem to be more together with my lessons and such and it is much easier to interact with them as people and not just as a job. I thank God for that greatly and hope it continues. If it is okay, I will probably post about students in the future (minus names) and request prayer for them. I trust you guys with them and I know they need that prayer covering.

Yes, please remember her in your prayers.
Thanks.

2 comments:

Becky Durham said...

I'm glad you noticed this girl. As I was reading your description, my heart was kind of jumping around wanting to come and help her! Then I remembered that you are there and prayed that God would let you help her.

You and I both know that sometimes the words of a teacher are the greatest motivator and that sometimes all teenagers need is someone to believe in them. I hope you can find time to meet with her one on one and give her some encouragement and maybe set goals together.

Anonymous said...

One of your gifts (which I know can sometimes be burdensome) is to be able to see the potential in people. I guess the next step is letting those people know that you see that potential. And I guess that is what a teacher is really supposed to do!

A sidenote that is unrelated: I was looking at the pictures of Ayo posted on Sarah's blog and I noticed that the only time Ayo was wearing socks was when you were holding her!

That is too funny!