I just want you all to know that I felt more like a smalltown hick today than I think I ever have. During our class discussions on fungus I, of course, brought up going mushroom huntin' for morels. A very, very common activity back home. This brought great entertainment to my students as they shared of their images of me "taking down a 'shroom". Which is so not what mushroom huntin' is! Anyway...this was followed by stories of other smalltown, hickish things we participated in back home. Such things as frog giggin' and cornin'. "(And, yes, you have to leave of the "g" to get the true hick feel for these activities!) I just can't believe what these city kids are missing out on. Poor things.
Anyway...
All in all, I had a great day teaching today. We laughed a lot, they asked some really good, thought-provoking questions, and since I adore fungus almost as much as plants, everything went splendidly today. Tomorrow we look at different classifications of fungus and I can't wait! Fungi is so cool! (Yes, there it is! My true science geekiness shining through!)
I hope you all had a day as equally entertaining and stimulating as I did!
3 comments:
Ahhhh...Fungi.
The subject matter may be fascinating, but the word "Fungus" is kind of gross sounding.
Hahahahaha that's hilarious that you like talking about fungus so much! I guess it's like the highlight of my day being about problem solving in math! I think making labels, charts, graphs, and tables are like the coolest things ever!
Oh and I laughed so hard about your bacteria vs. virus conversation you had with your kids! It's so cool that you let them sort of lead the conversation when they come up with an awesome topic!
Fungus is not fun. Nope. Never really found it so. though if you do - more power to you. I had a similiar teaching moment in Arizona with Chiggers. They thought I was crazy. Glad to hear that everythign is going so well.
Post a Comment