Monday, September 03, 2007

Just Plain Weird

I dream a lot. You all know that. What's strange is that there are 2 things that most commonly appear in my dreams. The first is a guy, one of my best friends from high school. He is in nearly all of my dreams. Sometimes as a main character, but usually he's just there in some axillary role. It's been like this for years, like since my college days and is intensifying as time goes by. I've only recently realized how strange that is. I've not even talked to him since 2000.

The other thing is Chris Tomlin concerts. Not just the concert though. It's always like I'm going to one and something is inhibiting me from really enjoying it. Like, my companions are late so we get really bad seats where you can't see. Or I got the time or date wrong and show up after it's over. Once it was because I'd actually won backstage passes to watch the show but never got t o meet him due to timing and then only got to see like the very top of his head occasionally while trying to watch the concert. It's always so bizarre. Yet, I have a dream like this at least a every other month and have for the last several years.

I am writing this because Saturday night I dreamed about the guy and last night about a Chris Tomlin concert. It's just weird. I just wonder if there's something in the depths of my mind that cause these dreams.

2 comments:

Becky Durham said...

Dreaming is one of those mysteries of life. It's amazing to me that God gave us minds that are capable of summoning such thoughts and surreal scenarios on their own while we sleep. And that we can remember them! It's so strange!

I believe that some dreams help us understand our innermost feelings and wirings. And I believe that some dreams are just strange and are due to eating something spicy before bed or taking a certain medication.

But I always am stumped by recurring dreams. I've never had a recurring dream or even a recurring character. My dreams are usually a mish-mash of things I've done, people I've seen and things I've heard during the day--when I even remember them at all, which is not often.

I think that people with vivid conscious imaginations have more vivid, memorable, unique dreams!

Beth said...

I love recurring dreams! It's like reading the next book in a series or something...except they make way less sense in dream form. Have you ever had a flying dream? I LOVE THOSE! It totally feels like you're really flying and it's awesome!