"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.'" ~Jeremiah 29:11-13
Tuesday, July 04, 2006
Does anyone have any suggestions for good, nonfiction books to read?
Also, I was entertained by "Freakonomics." Also, "32 Third Graders and One Class Bunny" was hilarious. I thought that "Slam Dunks and No Brainers..." by Leslie Savan was really interesting. Also, Thomas Friedman is an excellent writer and presents some challenging socio-political views--"The Lexus and the Olive Tree" was good and necessary to read. I also read John Stossel's "How I exposed Hucksters, Cheats and Scam Artists..." He also has another one out called "Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity..." but I haven't read that one yet. If you want to be spiritually challenged, books by Karen Armstrong do the trick--there's a lot to wrestle with and things that are agreeable and disagreeable. Or you could just work your way through something by C.S. Lewis--I think most of his books are good exercise for your brain.
My Dad is reading Freakonomics. He has shown me some paragraphs. It seems very entertaining. I think you might find that one interesting. Good suggestion, Becky. I mostly read fiction so I won't be much help. I am reading a history book about the Jewish race. It is very informative. But, I don't know if you are into that kind of thing.
4 comments:
"The Color of Water" by James McBride is a good one. I'll think about it and get back to you with more...
Also, I was entertained by "Freakonomics." Also, "32 Third Graders and One Class Bunny" was hilarious. I thought that "Slam Dunks and No Brainers..." by Leslie Savan was really interesting. Also, Thomas Friedman is an excellent writer and presents some challenging socio-political views--"The Lexus and the Olive Tree" was good and necessary to read. I also read John Stossel's "How I exposed Hucksters, Cheats and Scam Artists..." He also has another one out called "Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity..." but I haven't read that one yet. If you want to be spiritually challenged, books by Karen Armstrong do the trick--there's a lot to wrestle with and things that are agreeable and disagreeable. Or you could just work your way through something by C.S. Lewis--I think most of his books are good exercise for your brain.
My Dad is reading Freakonomics. He has shown me some paragraphs. It seems very entertaining. I think you might find that one interesting. Good suggestion, Becky. I mostly read fiction so I won't be much help. I am reading a history book about the Jewish race. It is very informative. But, I don't know if you are into that kind of thing.
Thanks! I looked a few of those up and think I'll see if I can get my hands on them!
Post a Comment