Hey all! Wow! What a crazy, busy weekend and week it's been! Nothing of great importance going on, just life! Which we all know can be crazy enough without anything out of the ordinary going on. Well, I finally got my (second) new phone and am in the process of getting it all set up. Most importantly, though, I have my Chris Tomlin ringtone downloaded and ready to go! Next will be entering all my numbers into the phonebook. That will have to wait until later.
In my seventh grade classes we have been studying infectious diseases and oh what a joy it's been so far! I love finding pictures of diseases that disfigure and that make you wanna live in a plastic bubble to illustrate the extent to which tiny pathogens affect our lives. There's nothing so fun as pulling up a Powerpoint slide of a dude with leprosy to make 30 seventh grades cringe in unison! Today we simulated the difference between infectious diseases and noninfectious diseases and how contact with people can spread the former but not the latter. One student was unknowingly "infected" and spread it throughout much of the class. It was great fun to see their reactions to being "infected". It was an awesome acivity and one I'm sure they won't soon forget. I will definitely use this one again and again and again!
So, here is a questions I always ask people. Sometimes it's just a conversation starter, but it's one I'm sincerely interested in knowing the answer to. What is one lesson/ activity/demo/etc. you remember from jr. high science class and why do you think you remember it? See if you can't answer it for me!
Have a good day all!
4 comments:
Um, the main things I remember about jr. high science class are the following:
1. It was the first (and nearly only) time I ever got a bad grade. It was on the student teacher's quiz about the chambers of the heart. I was devastated and nearly started to cry in class, so my real teacher had to comfort me and say that it was just the 7th grade and it was just a quiz given by a student teacher.
2. In my 7th grade science class the most unpopular boy in the entire school (he was an obnoxious 400 lb. nerd) had a crush on me, which meant that everyone made fun of me, and everyone thought it was just the funniest thing when asked me to the junior high prom right in the middle of science class. I said no.
3.Our teacher, Mr. Tevendale, preferred to make jokes rather than to teach us about science, so I just didn't learn so much in 7th grade. I started to really like Biology in 9th grade when we had a teacher who was passionate about biology and good at conveying that passion. But the only thing I really remember about 9th grade biology was that we got the chance to do a big project over Spring Break, and since my family went to the Grand Canyon over Spring Break that year, I took a bunch of panoramic photographs and presented them one of those 3-part posterboards for the whole class.
So I guess my answer is that I learned the most by doing big projects. But that is just the way I happen to learn the best. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
Dissecting a lamb's heart. Also... I remember when our science teacher told us about how eating sugar doesn't really make one hyper. It makes one hyper for a short amount of time but then afterward one's energy is sapped. I believe he did this by having each of us eat a teaspoon of sugar and then monitoring something about our bodies (I don't remember if it was our heart rate or what). That's all I can recall from jr. high biology. But it's amazing that I can recall that stuff because at first I was thinking... "there's no way I can answer that question"... but then I remembered! :o)
Those are great responses! The key is that you answer with what YOU remember! That says a lot about how different people learn. Plus, the fact that you actually remember something from that long ago speak of the impact it had on you!
I am doing learning profiles on you two right this second based on your responses!
Thanks!
1. I did a nerve test that sent me to state. I took needles and and seperated them at different lengths to find where the nerves were on my skin. I didn't win a prize, but it was an adventure
2. My 8th grade year I had two sections of the same kind of plants. One I downgraded and the other I sang to and uplifted. I wanted to see how they grew in comparision. However, I didn't spend much time on the project so I failed to get desirable results. sigh. I feel bad for such a disgraceful event. My poor school teacher. I love Kendallville.
Post a Comment